Earlier in the week, I had the opportunity to attend a seminar by Dr Kaylene Henderson on the topic of ‘Tackling Anxiety and Building Resilience in Children’.
Then session was an hour and a half well spent and I would highly recommend this talk to every parent.
Dr Henderson gave a well presented talk, and covered building strong relationships with your children and strategies to help deal with anxiety and how to help at home.
Some of the key messages that I would like to share, which she gave greater detail and good examples of were:
• Watch over them as they learn, explore and take risks
• Delight in them
• Share enjoyment in activities with them
• Help them ‘just enough’
• Comfort them when they’re distressed
• Be a good role model. Sometimes we have to be as brave as we’d like our children to be!
• Teach your children that anxiety isn’t harmful and that it also doesn’t last.
Allow children to experience both the ‘ups’ and ‘downs’ of life.
If you would like to find out where her next seminar is, I have a link to the website.
If you have any questions or there are any topics you would like to see in future posts please don’t hesitate to get in touch.